Nominating Committee News
Here is the latest regular progress update from the sub-committees as of November 28.
Sub-Committee Progress Reports
- Educating and Communicating, We continue to distribute the Episcopate Posts on progress, plans, team biographies and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and plans on a regular basis and other communications as required. We are continuing to develop education material on the role of the bishop, history of the diocese, and how a bishop is elected. All this information and communications are accessible on the episcopate transition web pages.
- Listening and Surveying, The Listening Session-Survey subcommittee hosted affinity tables for the nominating committee at the diocesan convention, November 10-11. There were lively conversations and the sharing of information about the nominating process and comments will be reviewed by the subcommittee. To date, five listening sessions have been held (Temecula, Hemet, El Centro, All Souls, St. Paul’s Cathedral). Thirteen congregations were represented at these gatherings. Seven additional listening sessions are scheduled through December 7. A complete list of places/dates of these future listening sessions can be found here. The collected comments from all sessions will be collated, digested, and reported to the Profile subcommittee by mid-December. The listening session-survey subcommittee also finalized the content and language of the online survey, which will become active December 3. An announcement about the survey will be distributed throughout the diocese during the week of November 27, and followed up with weekly reminders. Once the survey closes on January 6, the nominating committee will review the data and receive a formal interpretation from the survey company, Holy Cow. This information is of vital importance to the profile subcommittee
- Profiling, The profile committee is waiting for feedback from the listening sessions for the meat of our content. Meanwhile, we are collecting photos from around the diocese, obtaining the diocesan history from the diocesan historiographer, reviewing sample profiles, searching for a graphic designer, obtaining diocesan financial numbers and working to find ways to be creative in the use of our time to produce the profile.
- Nominating and Screening, The committee has agreed upon a questionnaire that will be submitted to the standing committee for approval.
- Interviewing and Discerning, We had a conference call with Ann Hallisey on November 15, mostly to verify there’s not a lot we can work on at this point. She confirmed that the application questions will inform the interview questions and that she will be serving as the facilitator of the retreat next October.
At a recent communications sub-committee meeting we agreed that it may be helpful if we published brief biographies of each of the sub-committee team members so that you know a little more about them. Please note that all the nominating committee biographies can be accessed here.
by Joseph Dirbas
Category: #Bishop Search, #Communications, #Sundays
May 22, 2023
Memorial Day, perhaps more than any other holiday, was born of necessity. Deep inside all of us lies a fundamental desire to make sense of life and our place in […]
May 19, 2023
“Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.” Hebrews 13:2 A few days ago, I had the opportunity to […]
May 16, 2023
Throughout the months of April and May, churches throughout the Episcopal Diocese of San Diego took part in the 2023 Year of Service by hosting or joining in creation care […]