The Diocesan Service & Justice Coalition is a group of outreach/service/justice coordinators from churches throughout the Episcopal Diocese of San Diego.
- To network and share ideas on best practices and challenges as we strive to be the hands of Christ in our neighborhoods.
- To collaborate on projects to make a greater impact in our community.
- To create an email list of service/outreach/justice coordinators at congregations throughout the diocese to foster better communication and collaboration.
- We typically meet quarterly (January/April/July/October) at various churches throughout the diocese to brainstorm, share ideas, and discuss topics of interest about outreach and advocacy. However, during the pandemic we have been meeting on Zoom.
Please join us!
…Every other month for inspiring, eye-opening and real discussions on the social justice issues that we believe need to be a part of our Episcopal experience and what we are doing now. Scroll down for meeting information and minutes of past meetings.
For more information, contact Debby Park:
We meet on Zoom from 9:30-11:30am every other 4th Saturday. Send an email to Debby Park at email@example.com if you would like to be invited to these meetings. All are welcome!
- May 22, 2021
- July 24, 2021
- September 24, 2021
Blessings in a Bag
Keep a bag of nonperishable food in your car. The next time you pass a person standing on a street corner holding a sign asking for help, you’ll have a handy lunch you can pass along with a smile!
Blessings in a Bag is a program adopted by many of the churches in our diocese. It’s very simple to organize. Purchase the following items in whatever quantity you need to make the amount of bags you wish to assemble:
- Individual servings of Vienna sausages or other protein
- Individual servings of applesauce or fruit
- Granola bars (soft and chewy, no chocolate coating)
- Peanut butter and crackers/Cheese and crackers
- Small water bottle
- Plastic spoon
- Wet wipe or small hand sanitizer
- Prayer/211 information
- Paper lunch bags
You can adjust this list however you wish. Some churches add a pair of clean sox to each bag, others add nuts or dried fruits, some include peppermints during the holidays. The possibilities are endless!
If you purchase your items at Costco or Smart and Final or another bulk-discount store, the cost is typically a little over $1 per bag for 100 bags. You can ask parishioners to donate a dollar or two when they pack their bags to help recoup costs.
Set up the contents for the bags on a long table just outside your church doors. As people exit after services one Sunday, have them go through the line and pack a bag or two, adding one protein, one fruit, one granola bar, and so forth as they walk down the line. Parishioners then take the bags they’ve packed with them when they leave church so they can brighten someone’s day with a handy lunch.
Bags pre-decorated by children in Sunday school are especially welcomed by the folks we encounter!
Try hosting Blessings in a Bag at your church!
For more information, contact: Melinda Murdock, firstname.lastname@example.org.