Serve with Sierra Service Project
- Challenging service. Youth take on complex projects, learn to safely use power tools, and cultivate teamwork and problem-solving skills.
- Fun!The SSP experience includes a tradition of games, songs, and lasting friendships.
- Safe & Dependable.SSP has 40 years of youth service, leadership, and home repair knowledge, is dedicated to physical and emotional safety, and provides nutritious meals and spiritual support to all volunteers.
- Intercultural engagement.Working with others to strengthen communities different from their own allows youth to experience new cultures in an authentic way.
- Community-based, transformative service learning experience.
During the 2015 summer, SSP hosted 1,757 volunteers. They worked together to complete 94 projects which included replacing 9 failing roofs, constructing 10 brand new wheelchair ramps, and painting 17 homes. The Episcopal church was well represented with 210 of those volunteers coming from Episcopal churches or Dioceses.
Kim Furnari is the youth leader at Faith Episcopal Church in Cameron Park, CA. She has organized and led her church’s youth group for the past seven years to one of Sierra Service Project’s summer sites and is currently serving on SSP’s Board of Directors. She says that she and her youth love to keep going back to SSP because “you don’t need to bring any tools, materials, or even construction knowledge. SSP takes the stress of planning the projects right off of your shoulders.” Furnari is also impressed with the caliber of projects they complete saying that “the work we do is important and needed, and the youth love it.”
SSP is committed to providing safe, accessible, and affordable programs for youth to deepen their relationships with God and others through service. SSP trips cover housing, meals, construction training, spiritual development, fellowship and more. We also offer scholarships to groups and individuals who may not otherwise be able to attend.
Priority registration for Summer 2016 closes November 15. Groups of all sizes can enroll, and no group is too small. After November 15, groups and individuals may register where space is available. Call (916) 488-6441 or click today for more information!