Title III Canon 16, Sec. 2
Deacons or priests may be licensed to officiate in this diocese under the following conditions:
- Licenses will be issued to officiate either throughout the diocese or restricted to a specific church, area or institution at the discretion of the bishop.
- Licenses will be effective the first Sunday of Advent of the church year they are
requested and will expire the Saturday before the first Sunday of Advent five years from that date.
- Licenses will be issued and renewed only after the receipt of a written request.
- A deacon or priest requesting to be licensed must attend a church within the diocese on a regular basis and have done so for at least one year.
- A deacon or priest requesting to be licensed must have an active ministry in a church
within this Diocese or have a position in a secular institution which requires that he or she perform clerical functions as part of his or her employment.
- The clergy person in charge of the church or the person in charge of the secular institution must recommend in writing that the license be issued.
- A deacon or priest requesting to be licensed must have completed Safeguarding God’s People. The online course can be found on the Diocesan website. There is no fee for the course. Print the certificate when the training is complete and mail to the Bishop’s Office prior to the license being issued. (Seven modules to be taken: Meet Sam; It Happened to Me; Keeping Your Church Safe; Preventing Sexual Exploitation in Communities of Faith for Congregations; Preventing Sexual Exploitation in Communities of Faith for Ministries; Safeguarding God’s People: Preventing Sexual Harassment for Workers; Safeguarding God’s People: Preventing Sexual Harassment for Managers & Supervisors; plus reading of the Diocesan Policies which are posted on the website.)
- Clergy not currently licensed but wishing to be licensed must undergo a background
investigation. We contract with Oxford Documents and the cost is $200. Fees must be paid prior to initiating the background check.
- Clergy requesting to be licensed in this diocese will need to meet with the bishop prior to the initial license being issued. Contact Bobbi Hoff, executive assistant to the bishop, to make the appointment, 619-481-5454.
- The bishop may waive any of the above requirements in special situations.
For more information, contact the Rev. Canon Allisyn Thomas, canon for transition ministries.