email@example.comOur diocese is ever expanding its consciousness with regard to the environment and caring for God’s creation. We invite you to join our growing network of environmentally mindful congregations and resources!
Now, more than ever, members of our church are ready, willing and able to put their belief into action and practice as stewards of our environment.
Future Bound Solar Initiative
The 2020 Diocesan Convention approved a resolution on “Creation Care through Clean Renewable Energy for EDSD Churches.” This resolution formally created the “Future Bound Solar Initiative.” With this resolution, the Initiative is now officially available for all parishes, missions and congregations.
With half a dozen congregations well along in the process, another near-dozen that have taken the first step, and seven other congregations that already had solar installed, the diocese is well on its way to making EDSD the first 100% solar-powered diocese in the country.
Environmental Justice: What can you do?
- Buy cloth shopping bags for grocery shopping and keep them in your car. This will help keep plastic out of landfills and save trees. You will get store credit at some stores.
- Buy local produce and products that do not need to be transported long distances. This helps to cut down on emissions.
- Do not buy bottled water because of the excess of plastic. Fill up with reusable containers or install a water filter in your faucet.
- Buy your food in bulk. It is usually cheaper and packaging is minimal.
- Compost your kitchen wastes. The soil in San Diego can use it.
- Buy products that pay living wages to those producing them and that practice environmentally safe production processes, like Bishop’s Blend Coffee.
- Carpool or take the bus to reduce emissions.
- Do an energy assessment for your house and replace conventional bulbs with compact flourescent.
This website has resources for creating environmental justice. It is a group of over 460 congregations, including several in our diocese, working on issues of environmental justice, such as global warming.